Friday, February 13, 2009

The Other Side of Life in Zambia

Just when I thought all the talk of the runs sickness was blown out of proportion, it hit. I guess being in another country for over a month and not getting sick is a blessing, but it is terrible to not be home and be miserable. I was in the corn fields learning to hoe a garden using a hoe that has a handle about the length of my arm when IT hit. I ran to the closest bathroom. I went back to the field and back to the nearest guest house. I gave up and walked to our guest house for the rest of the day. Our poor housekeeper, who I have come to love, was scared silly when I flew past her while she was sweeping. Did I mention the broom she uses is shorter than my arm?

Okay, so my first day in the cornfields was not a success, but I go back on Tuesday for a second chance. I also picked up a cold. I thought I brought every medicine known to man, but I didn't bring cough drops. Who would have thought that I would need cold medicine in the summer in Africa? :)

I did stay in the cornfields long enough to watch an amazing display of team work and skill. These women gather in great numbers. They only have about 6 tools between them. So the 6 will work and shortly they switch out and this repeats until all the rows are done. They must pile the dirt up as they hoe the ground so that the rains do not wash away the seeds. They toss that dirt as though it was nothing. Young and old bend over all day. Even if I had not been sick, I might have made it 30 minutes.

In case you still have misconceptions about reality here, let me be very specific. These people are not poor because they are lazy. I have never seen such hard work under such oppressive conditions. Well, time to go nurse my cold with ... water. Oh, I did find some peppermints in the bottom of my suitcase. Not sure, but I think I removed all the fuzz. Just kidding.

Miss everyone terribly,
Let the SonShine,
Melinda

5 comments:

Mike Hornback said...

I wish I could be sick for you. I am praying for you. I read that blog just past 12am on Valentine's Day in Zambia. Happy Valentine's Day. I love you. I am going to say Happy Valentine's Day everywhere I can so that you will see it somewhere. Stay strong baby, I am praying for you right now. I love you.

A. Pelance said...

All of chapel prayed for your team today...just though you might want to know...May God's love and grace shine upon you and the Zambian people.

Alyse.

Missy said...

Sorry to hear about the cold and the runs! Happy Valentines Day to everyone over there, I'm sure they don't celebrate the day but from the way you talk about them, they are a country that would just love the day because of the love they have for everyone.
God bless and continue the good work!
PTK Hugs
Missy

mom weigel said...

When I read about these projects, it seems like it is mostly run by the women...what are the jobs the men do? I was sorry to read about your "sickness" :( Just be careful which water you are drinking or else your "sickness" will last for awhile!
ps my word i have to type in here kinda looks like imodium lol!

lfcagc said...

We hope you are over your intestinal issues :(. We have learned from our experience in China that it may take time. Stay hydrated and rest as much as you can. You will recover much quicker if you do. Our prayers contine for you and your team. May you know a special sense of God's tender hand. "For He Himself has said,'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" Heb. 13:5 love, Lou & Anita