Saturday, March 14, 2009

Laughter is Universal

As I am writing this I am listening to Matthew West on my laptop. I am so proud of myself, because I discovered how to download music off my mp3 player. In Zambia you learn to appreciate the little things of life. I believe this is the reason our Zambian friends praise God in mighty ways. They appreciate the joy of waking up each morning and God’s provision of the food they put on the table each day. Nothing is taken for granted. The next time you sit at the table be amazed and grateful that you have a table to eat at. I have never seen a table in the villages. Pans are placed on the ground and food prepared by women who must bend or squat to prepare their food.

This past week, I had the blessing to help deliver incentives to a village trust. Incentives are bestowed on trusts who are faithful stewards with what God has given them through World Hope International Zambia (WHIZ). The incentives consisted of 2 bags of corn meal, oil, sugar, soap, and laundry soap. This is enough to feed a family for a few weeks. These women laughed, praised God with song, and celebrated. We were told simply that the food had come just in time.

An elderly woman carried two bags of corn meal on her head to deposit into the church building. Another woman with a baby on her back carried three bags on her head. Each bag weighs about 23 pounds. I walked over and asked the men in the truck to place two bags on my head. The women laughed and clapped and let me know they appreciated my effort to follow their way. It was heavy, but fun. When I returned to the truck, the staff asked if I wanted to try three bags. I declined and accepted my two. The women laughed. The greatest joy I have experienced in Zambia is the joy these wonderful brothers and sisters express when we work along side them. We have been told by WHIZ staff that our visits bring encouragement. They believe a visitor is worth more than silver and gold.

There was a drum outside the church, and I asked if anyone played. A young man was brought from the church to play. Charlotte, a team member, began moving her feet and soon several women came from the church to dance with her. The song was about God’s faithfulness. An elderly woman came out and ran in front of the young women making the loud celebratory noise we have come to enjoy. The pastor’s wife threw her a shatanga cloth and she made another trip down the line of girls waving it over them. It looked like a blessing.

I had my camera with me. I took a picture of a woman with her child. I showed her the picture on the back of my camera, and she was amazed. We have learned that taking pictures brings a lot of excitement in the village, for the young and old alike. They all want their pictures taken and then look at it. I wonder how many of these people have never seen themselves since mirrors are rare. Even in our guest house there are only two mirrors and both are the medicine cabinet size. There are no full length mirrors. Every morning you depend on your team members to tell you if something is showing that shouldn’t be.

The good thing is that I can’t see how much weight I have put on, eating mostly carbs. The first ingredient in bread is vegetable oil. It is hard to imagine that pasta could be starchier than at home, but it is true. Chicken is breaded and fried. Why would you have diet anything in a country where most people look like match sticks? That starchy shema keeps them full longer. I have been told I am fat. This is a compliment. It means you are healthy. In the United States we are obsessed with looking great, and here they are obsessed with being disease free enough to gain weight. Most will have malaria several times a year.

I always try to end the blog entry with something upbeat. Here it is: I have laughed more this past week than I have the whole time I have been here. My good friend Charlotte’s bed frame broke and she became a taco. Dr. Garner and Brandon had a Ninja pillow fight, and Sydney (Dr. Garner’s wife) gave us a lecture on how to go to the restroom when both arms have been broken. The Lord is blessing us with laughter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blogs make me want to cry! I miss you and the culture that you're in. Say hello to everyone for me.

love and peace

Mike Hornback said...

I love reading these. I can see you laughing. I have learned to love your laughter. I miss it desparately. I look forward to seeing you carry groceries out of Kroger on your head. I love you so much.

Barbara Ihrke said...

Well, carrying groceries on your head in the US is frowned upon - Pastor Mike. I have done it much to the shame of some of my friends. It is easier to carry some things on the head. So Melinda, go for it when you return! I will enjoy hearing your laughter again. I love your blog notes and have missed them....Barbara BTW - April 18th - Women's meeting - can you speak :)