Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Last Blog Entry from Zambia

This is my last blog entry from Zambia. Tomorrow morning we leave for Livingstone, Zambia to see Victoria Falls, and Friday we will go on a safari. Saturday we board the plane for the long journey home. As the time draws near to say goodbye to my friends here, it has become bittersweet. I am excited to be home with my family, sleeping in my own bed, using my own toilet, riding my motorcycle, and taking a clean shower. Everyone here keeps asking me if I am excited to be leaving. My answer is simple. I am anxious to be with my family, but if they were here, I would choose to stay in Zambia. As a matter of fact, there are some Zambian friends praying that God will bring Mike and I back.

It is hard to leave so many new friends with so many needs. I wish I could help each one, but there are so many. I have, however, made some differences. I will save these for my last blog entry, the one I write when I return home.

I know there will be adjustments as I return to a country where so many have so much. I can imagine that visions of affluence will jockey to overcome visions of entrenched poverty and sickness. I pray God will help me find a new balance, one that never forgets, always acts, and brings peace knowing God is still in control.

I am going home tired and exhausted, but I also go home with a renewed understanding of God’s mercy and grace. My Zambian brothers and sisters in the Lord have shown me a side of God I have never seen. They have shown me what complete dependence on God really looks like. Oh, I thought I understood this, but I have never had to depend on God for each meal or each breath. I have seen what joy in the Lord looks like, to praise God even in sorrow, to praise God in all things. I have seen people walk miles just to worship their Father with other believers, and I have seen pastors who ride a bicycle day in and day out to visit a congregation that is miles and miles apart. I have seen sacrifice in a country that, by our standards, have little to sacrifice.

Yes, there will be many things to process when I get home, but I am going home a richer person. I have been blessed to be here, and I pray that God will bring Mike and I back, even if only for a visit.

5 comments:

QueenMalley said...

You did it, Melinda! You survived and thrived in Zambia. (Just like I survived and thrived the New York City jungle!)You will come home enriched and have a deeper appreciation for all things home.
Congratulations,Melinda; you took a risk and I am very, very proud of you. It will be fun hearing about your experiences at Uncle Jacks in August. Bring photos!
I wait to hear that you made it home safely.
In friendship,
Barb Teed
JKC

Mike Hornback said...

I cannot believe we are 4 days away from seeing each other; after 83 loooong days. I love you. I might leave for the ariport now. This was a great way to sum the experience up before you leave. I will help you keep the fire burning and spread it.

foolish and broken said...

melinda - i have to tell you that i cannot wait for our bike ride and time to catch up on everything since we last saw each other. God is so good. Thank you for your dedication in Zambia. I wish so often that I had been there the whole time. But God has been good here too, even when things are hard. Can't wait to see you and take you to lunch! - Margie

Unknown said...

Tears are in my eyes as I read you blog. I miss you. I miss Maureen. I miss my kids at Arise Community School. I miss the culture, the smell, the people. I can picture so clearly the things you write about. My heart just hurts. I can't wait to see you. Love you!

lfcagc said...

wELCOME HOME! May God continue to foster the new found zeal in you and help you in your adjustment as you return home...We look forward to seeing you soon.
love,
Anita & Lou