Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cost?

Want to know how much it cost to go to Zambia?  Not too bad as a student, of course, there are hidden costs that I hadn't planned on.  I suppose seasoned travelers would not have been so surprised.

Here is a running list so far.  I'll update as necessary.  

$100.00 PassPort
$90.00 Hep. A - I already had Hep.  B and the other shots at the health clinic in Wabash were free.
$20.00 Flu Shot - (not mandatory, but strongly suggested)
$135.00 Doctor's Appointment and School Nurse Practitioner Appointment (required) - (includes typhoid medicine).
$500.00 Deposit on Plane ticket - (Balance of $2,000 paid for by IWU Alumni)
$90.00 Special all terrain sandals
Biggest shock of all was just received last week.  Unknown to me all the students going are still paying their room and board even though they will not be on campus.  Guess what that means to me?  Yep, a $3,500 bill that I did not prepare for.  Can you say, "student loan?"
I have no idea what a 3 month supply of Malaria vaccine will be, I'll keep you posted.  

Back to Research class stuff.

2 comments:

sue Jackson said...

Dear Melinda,

This is really interesting since we are working on plans to help Ivy Tech students travel abroad.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Love,

Sue

Epi.Chooses.Joy said...

Yeah, that room and board this is a beast :)!