Saturday, January 17, 2009

Challenges and Important Lessons: Week One

We are in a 3 bedroom house with one shower. There are 14 of us. Everyone is 21 or below … except for me (don’t ask). It is a constant place of motion and volume. So where does one study who must have quiet to read a book entitled, The Pedagogy of the Oppressed? I tried sitting on my bed, but I fell asleep. I have noticed that everyone is getting quieter as assignment deadlines approach, so there is hope. We are settling into a routine.

I have to say that everyone is pitching in and helping out where needed. I have watched students share their small stock of special shampoo or soap, knowing they can’t replace it when it is gone. I have shared my priceless medicine cabinet of ointments and Pepto Bismol. This would include the medicated baby powder that is great for that rash you get on the thighs from wearing skirts in hot, humid weather.

We are learning to wash clothes by hand. Notice I say “learning.” Our first lesson was that soap here is very concentrated. When you use too much, it takes a really, really long time to rinse it all out. It was easier to just wear them with soap in them. If we get caught in the rain, which is a strong possibility, we will leave bubbles wherever we go. The children will love it. We also learned that things do not dry quickly in the rainy season, so wash only ½ your clothes at a time. Finally, you just have to deal with your under things blowing in the wind for all the world to see.

We have also discovered what it feels like to live one week with NO money. We haven’t shopped or had the ability to fill even the basic of needs or to put offering in the church plate. When you are not in charge of the schedule, have no transportation, or any say on the rules, you have to do what you are told. This has probably been the greatest challenge for me, so little control over me. Today I really looked at my frustration and realized it was a helpless feeling. This must be how so many Africans feel every day of their lives. It must be frustrating to have a store, but no money for bread. To have roads, and no way to get to a hospital. To have access to ARVs, but no money to pay someone to take you the long way to the clinic.

To end on a lighter note, our last lesson is to always, always, carry toilet paper with us wherever we go! I miss all of you very much and wish you could be here with me, because I do not wish to be there with you in -20 degree temps. Love, Melinda

6 comments:

QueenMalley said...

Melinda: Your blog is so well-written, I can almost be there. You will need to publish it...
At Scholars weekend we can swap stories on living with 20 something college roommates! Whew, I give you credit. I know how it feels. NYC was like a foreign country and lots of poor people as well as very wealthy.
You trip will make you grow in ways not imagined.
Barb Teed

Mike Hornback said...

We have been together for 27 1/2 years and I have never been more amazed by, proud of or impressed with you as I have been this week. You are adjusting in some unbelievable ways. When I saw you in that pic with the ladies, my first thought was; "wow, which one was not born in Zambia." My second thought was; "Thats so you, right in the middle of the people." I am the most blessed person in the world, being married to you. Did I say I love you?

A. Pelance said...

I thought of you guys today as i was freezing my way out of the dorm, making those few steps toward the student center, thinking (as my nose hairs froze), "I wonder how warm it is there?"

Tim Cox said...

Melinda, I am so proud of you for doing this and I have been reading every word you have written. I'll check in every day to see what you've been doing. Post pictures when you can.

You know that when you come home you will be a different person. You'll have a new outlook on life, on humanity, on family, and you will have learned so much about yourself.

I hope you or someone sets up a webpage for you when you get home so you can transcribe your daily diary word for word so we can relive each day with you.

Mike, can you help her with that? She's going to have a lot to say and alot to share with us. I haven't seen Melinda since May 9, 1980 when we graduated from duPont Manual High School. I am very proud of your wife! Help her share her story on the web.

I'll check in tomorrow Melinda!

Tim Cox
San Francisco

Barbara Ihrke said...

Melinda,
I remember so well those days when I could not even buy a stamp, mail a letter, buy a banana, and had absolutely no 'power' over what was happening. Slowly I have learned (God pounding in!) to sit back and smile - just like you were in the picture with the ladies - BTW - great chitenge!!
Praying for you Barbara

Tress said...

Melinda,

The girls and I are reading your blog for our nightly devotions. We also are praying for you before we go to bed. Lots of Love to you Melinda!

Teresa, Jessie and Macie