Friday, January 16, 2009

We have arrived in Zambia!

We arrived in Zambia weary, but excited. The bus ride to Choma was a bumpy one. I wanted to close my eyes, but I was afraid I would miss something. The road was lined with women, men, and children who were selling coal, corn, or corn meal. Many women were selling themselves in order to survive. This has given the road the nickname "AIDS Highway." This is the only road for carrying goods into Choma and other cities in the southern part of Zambia.

We arrived late Saturday night and worship on Sunday. They sang a song in English for us, but most was in Tonga. While I couldn't understand a word, I felt included in spirit. I want to sing in a choir just like that in Heaven. At the end of the service we filed out one roll at a time. Outside the church building people got in a roll. As you come out the door you shake each person's hand and give a traditional greeting, which is returned. At the end of the line, you take your place and wait for everyone to leave. It was amazing. I met the whole church.

Most of the week we spent in classes getting to know all the programs here. They are extensive and exciting. I will post more later. Yesterday we went into a community trust (village). You will learn more about this later also. I have to tell you about a few things that happened now, while it is still fresh in my mind.

A woman with a child at her breast came to me. I couldn't understand what she wanted. She held the baby and said, "She needs you" followed by more words I could not understand. I was heart broken because I could not fill her request. I finally placed my hand on the child's head and blessed and prayer for the girl. The mother relaxed and sat down with the other women. I pray that God gives this mother the request. I was told that the child was probably sick. Because many of the people believe in the power of prayer, she was content with what I had to offer.

While I sat with some women, an older woman, came and asked my age. I told her 46 and she told me she was 56. All the women began to clap and shout. They were celebrating the woman's senior age. Not many people here see 56 years. I celebrated with them while my soul was somber.

It seems that the needs are so simple, but you don't have to be here long to understand there are no simple solutions.

2 comments:

Mike Hornback said...

Wow, Melinda, I wish I was there to experience all this with you. I can only imagine what you felt as you prayed for that baby. I am prayiong for you right now because I know what that does to your beautiful, compassionate heart. I am so proud of you. I love you more than ever. Stay strong, I am praying for you many times daily. Many people here are. Did I say I ove you?

swoop said...

I am so glad to hear you arrived safely! I can understand not closing your eyes, I also would not want to miss one tiny event or sight!